Tuesday 27 March 2007

Mum and Dad hit Mumbai






Mum and Dad made it to Mumbai last Friday morning. Been staying at the Hotel Marine Plaza, very nice little Art Deco hotel on Marine Drive, and only two mins walk from me at the Hilton.



We have managed to pack in the Dhobi Ghats (big open air laundry), Pheonix High Street (Shopping), the Hanging Gardens (Flowers and butterflies), the Jain Temple (umm, a temple), Kemps Corner (more shopping), the Gateway (big monument), Elephanta Island (big island full of elephants - no kidding, Hindu carved caves), Sanjif Gandhi National Park (a big park, more caves - Buddhist this time), Gandhi's House (self explanatory), a trip on the train (to Boriwali) and a few nice walks up Marine Drive and around the Maidens.


We have tried to eat somewhere different each night - from Mangalorian Seafood at Trishna to the Famous Kulfi (Indian Ice cream) Centre at Chowpatty Beach.


I think Mum has struggled a little with the poverty, I think I am immune to it now, but it isn't easy at times. Also the hawkers seem to spot there ultra white skins and zoom right in - I think I have the hard look of a local now and they more or less leave me alone. Either that or I just look skint, lol.

Its been nice having a little of the UK here. Tough being away from your home turf for so long. Luckily Mum and Dad are only gone a week and Keith arrives, so that is more UK style entertainment - and more white people to look even browner next too, yay!

No comments:

Sydney

Views of Mumbai