Monday 7 July 2008

First Weekend

Friday, the day we arrived, was quite a wash out. We were both tired and it rained all day, sometimes it was more a deluge than a shower. We walked around the bridge, the opera house and the botanic gardens before giving up and heading home to watch some tv.

Saturday we headed up to Kings Cross, they were having a Farmers Market and it was lovely. We got fresh organic mango and peach juice, organic lamb (which is now a curry), loads of veggies and a roo burger. It was really lovely up there, sun shining, girl playing the accordion and lots of lovely smells. After we had headed back and dropped off the shopping we split up. Keith headed off to the Botanics again and I headed off to the shops. I started at the Queen Victoria Building (QVB) which is a Victorian building (yes, amazing isn't it) full of lovey little shops. I then headed on to David Jones (a very posh version of John Lewis) were I minced around, bought some Mac makeup and a lovely pair of Chloe shoes (Black patent, round toes, little heels) and checked out the food hall. By that time I was fading again so I headed back, via Lush at QVB for a bath bomb and a very early bed.

Sunday morning was spent at The rocks at the Aroma coffee festival - which oddly enough was just loads of stalls with coffee, some tea, cakes, spices and such like. It was absolutely packed, probably because it was nice and sunny and warm. After our fill of coffee we headed off to Circular Quay and caught a ferry to Manly. It takes 30 mins to get there (as opposed to 15 on the fast cat) and it is a lovely chug across the harbour. You arrive into a small seaside village with a pedestrianised town centre full of lovely little shops and pavement cafes. The other side of the precinct is the pacific ocean, and there were plenty of kids taking advantage of the surf - despite the "cold" weather - it was glorious sunshine. We walked along the headland to "Cabbage Cove", a protected bay for sealife and Keith went in for a paddle. Ambling up the cliffs we got a great view over the Atlantic and back to the bay at Manly and then headed back round the road to the town centre. Before catching the ferry we stopped for a beer at the Loenbraugh Beer cafe (with a roaring fire and gluhwein if you wanted a heat) and then oddly (for a winter treat) a Gellato at Gellatisimo (where they have 16 different chocolate flavours, never mind the non choccie ones) before hopping on a ferry back and a short walk back to the apartment for dinner and another early night!

Its still feeling a bit odd. Don't feel like I live here yet - I think that will be better when we get our own place and I won't feel quite so temporary as I do here. Oh, and I spoke to Owen on the phone last night. I asked him how he was and he said "I've been good!", bless. Then he asked if I was coming around, I said no, I was in Australia now and he said "well you could come on a plane" - bless, that brought a wee tear to my eye. I do miss the little terror.

No comments:

Sydney

Views of Mumbai