Friday 9 February 2007

Trip to Sanjif Ghandi National Park - Part 1

Last weekend I took a trip to the Sanjif Ghandi National park at Boriwali. To get there is an hours train ride from Churgate station. That was the start of things...buying a train ticket. There was lots of q's and the details were in Hindi, I plumped with one at random and got lucky, "a return to Boriwali please", "which class first or second", er "what's the difference" "either 20 or 200 rupees" - I plumped for first class and made for a train. No signs telling you which platform or anything so I asked a guard and found the fast train to Boriwali. I decided that the "ladies" compartment looked the least daunting and found myself a seat on one of the benches. It was basic but clean and due to the air con system (no glass in the windows and no doors) it was odour free. I ended up sitting down very little on the trip as due to the lack of doors you can hang out as you go and take pictures as you can see on the left.
When I reached Boriwali I didn't appear to get off the train fast enough and the people crushing to get on where shouting "jaldi, jaldi" which I took to mean "hurry up please, I am keen to get on the train and you are blocking the way" - eventually I was hauled off by one arm and made my way out of the station.
A short tuc tuc ride (30 rs) and I was at the entrance to the Sanjif Ghandi National park.

There were lots of people heading in, nearly all Indian and lots of families. I q'd up, paid my 100Rs and headed into the park, refusing the offer of a private car of motorbike tour from the friendly neighbourhood tout. The bus to the caves was waiting so I hopped on and paid my 20Rs, received my paper ticket and awaited for the bus to make the 7k journey up to the caves.

No comments:

Sydney

Views of Mumbai